Some years ago my son arrived home to discover his college roommates about to light the barbeque. Being cold out, they decided to do the cooking inside. Had he not arrived home when he did and warned them of the unseen danger of carbon monoxide (CO), this story might have ended very differently.
Every so often we hear the tragic accounts of people dying from CO poisoning. CO is colourless odourless, tasteless gas that can often prove lethal. Our best defense is understanding its characteristics and having an operational CO detector in our homes to let us know of its presence.
Something similar holds true in the spiritual realm. Throughout the pages of Holy Scripture we discover God’s truth that both leads to life, and warns of danger and death. As is the case with CO, ignorance of God’s word is anything but blissful. If we don’t read, hear and obey that word, those spiritual dangers surround us and remain undetectable.
If you haven’t done so already, install a carbon monoxide detector in your home. And since you’re already reading this devotion and its corresponding scripture passage, I want to encourage you in this practice. Chances are it will save your life one day.
Lord, help us not to despise your word, but to gladly hear, learn and obey it. Amen. — ACS